Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Good Shepherd--Craft Goodies

Good morning everyone and happy {almost} spring!
It's Wendy from Craft Goodies here today to wrap up this great week of Easter inspiration.
And it has been such a great week, the WYLTC ladies are amazing! I'm hoping my little project here doesn't let anyone down!
 
I was super excited for this theme, I love Easter! So here is what I did...
 
 
My mind kept telling me I wanted a little sheep in my project. When I think of Easter and it's meaning I find myself thinking more of the amazing amount of love that the Savior has for each of us and how He is indeed our shepherd. He loves and cares for each of us, each a vital part of His flock.
 
 
So that's where I went. I found a simple shepherd coloring page online, enlarged it, and cut it from 1/2 inch MDF. Same with the sheep. I wanted a simple, almost silhouette-ish look so the painting was kept really minimal.
 
Just like the other ladies, I wanted to make it interactive, a way to share the Easter story with my kids but had a small problem. My oldest daughter is going to be making the "12 Days of Easter" eggs next week in Young Women's so I didn't want to duplicate it.
 Enter The Friend!
(The Friend is a magazine for children put together by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)
 
Download the activity HERE

This month's issue has advent of sorts already to go. Simply cut the picture into pieces, and then the week before Easter pick out one per day, match it to the corresponding spot on the activity page, and do the activity. 
 
That's what went into my eggs, but where to put them? Every little sheep needs a meadow to hang out in, so a meadow we have!
 
 
 I wrapped a 12 inch strip of 1x3 in green felt. Cut two strips of felt to look like grass, glued one to the back and the other to the front. And then used jumbo popsicle sticks to make a little fence. I glued the sticks together (I did trim a few of the edges) and then wrapped a little jute at the joints, just for fun. I used my staple gun to attach the sticks to the 1x3 and then put it all together...
 
 
My girls saw it this morning on the mantle and just gushed!
{I think they just like the idea that Easter is coming...} But I am thrilled with how it came out and more so that we will get to keep a bit more of Christ in our celebration.
 
Thanks Krystal for a great theme, and to all of you for some great ideas to file away--they really are each just amazing. Have a wonderful day and Easter and we'll see you next month.
Happy Crafting!
 



6 comments:

Krystal said...

What a great idea!!! I love the sheep!!! That is such a good idea to search for coloring pages for patterns! Love the meadow to hold the eggs too! Great job!

Melinda said...

Adorable! Love the shepherd :)

Candace & Nicole said...

Cute, cute Wendy! That is a great idea to use coloring pages for patterns.

Candace & Nicole said...

Cute, cute Wendy! That is a great idea to use coloring pages for patterns.

Kori said...

Could you share your coloring page- or email me a copy?

Unknown said...

The link to the coloring page I used can be found on my blog. www.wmcraftgoodies.blogspot.com

Thanks!