Thursday, September 6, 2012

Woodland Baby Mobile- Sassy Sanctuary

Hello everyone! Krystal from Sassy Sanctuary here today to share my take on this month's "crafting with/for kids" theme. With a baby on the way I had use this as an excuse to cross off another thing from my nursery to-do list. So I went more with the crafting "for" kids route. Also, I have to confess that while there is a wood element, this is not an entirely wood project. Hope no one minds!

Anyway, if you go on Etsy and search "woodland mobile" you will find a bunch of adorable mobiles with little felt animals.  It took one look and I knew I had to have one for my woodland nursery, but since most range upwards of $70, I also knew I would have to DIY it.


So I went and gathered some felt and embroidery floss, found my favorite little animals from Etsy to shamelessly copy, and set to work.  Here is how it turned out.


I am so happy with it!  I really wish everyone could come over and see it in person since it was really hard to photograph and the pictures just don't do it justice.  But hopefully you get the idea!

We have an "elf house" (which I copied off the fabric I'm using in there)


An Owl...

 A Bear...


A Fox...

A Hedgehog...


And my favorite, the Raccoon.


And now where the wood comes in.  All these little guys needed a place to hang so I made a simple wooden mobile frame.


All you do is take a wooden block, drill holes in the four sides and insert dowels (add some glue to the holes).  I then capped the dowels with dowel caps.  All the supplies were found at Micheal's.  Then just stain or paint however you please.  There are also eye-hooks on the top and bottom of the block to hang from.

So that's it.  My DIY woodland baby mobile.


And just so you don't feel too bad for my kids, let me show you what my 6 year old son did while I sewed.


I cut him squares of felt, armed him with a needle and some thread, showed him how to do a simple whip stitch, and let him go to town.  He spent hours making this little "blanket" and is so proud of it.  And I love how entertained it kept him!  So yeah, no matter what you are crafting on, give your kids some of your scrap supplies and see what they can do.  Their creativity might amaze you!

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

Candace & Nicole said...

So fun for your baby Krystal! The little woodland creatures are adorable!

Bethierin80 said...

this is perfect! I'd like to copying it if that's ok. I've been looking everywhere for a woodland mobile that is also gender neutral as we are not finding out the sex of our baby to be. The ones on etsy are adorable but i just can't justify spending that much. I love the characters your chose. Thanks so much for the inspiration Krystal!