Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ruffled Book {Heart}

Hey!  It's Melinda from over at Under My Umbrella.  I'm a little behind today.  I tried to sign-in to blogger and it told me I changed my password 24 days ago.  The only problem is I don't remember doing it or what I changed my password to :)  My excuse is I have four kids and I'm a little low in the brain cell department.  I finally figured it out and I'm ready to share a project with one of my favorite themes {love} and two of my fav crafting materials...books and wood!

I'm calling this creation my ruffled book heart.  Interesting, right?!   It's different and I'm not sure I love it in the picture but I LOVE it in my house.  The best part of this project is out of one book you get two projects that are easy to do.  Stay tuned for the second project later in the post.  

This project cost me $1.00.  I went down to the dollar store and grabbed a hardcover book.   I traced a pattern of a heart onto the cover.   For the next part all of the tutorials I have seen for making a Christmas tree or pumpkin shape from a book you then have to cut out the shapes by a few pages at a time.  This is where this project would have lost me as a crafter.  No patience or time here for that!   I'm going to share one of the best tips ever with you....  Use the scroll saw and just cut the whole thing out at once.



Easy and fast!  It took me about a minute.  It makes my {heart} happy!!!  Here is what you have...

 I then opened my book, decorated it and folded down a few pages for the ruffles.  I left the hardcover part on the book and could have left the project that way but I wanted a little extra support and I couldn't leave my friend wood out of the picture.  I traced a heart on a 1/4 inch thick piece of wood and glued it to my book.  It makes the whole project more solid. 
 
You now have a ruffled heart book!  I think this project *might* make a great teacher gift.


Here is that second bonus project I mentioned before.....  Takes about a minute and it sure makes me want to go read a good book!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very clever! You gave me an idea of a blank page journal for my grandaughter. Thank you for sharing your unique project!

Krystal said...

very cute! I love the look of book pages in crafts but have yet to give it a try. the idea of cutting the book with the scroll saw all at once is brilliant! Great job!

Candace & Nicole said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't know you could cut books with a scroll saw! So clever! Nice job Melinda!

Janice said...

glad you're still crafting, I love your ideas and I haven't seen them for awhile. Very cute. Don't you just love Valentine's day? Wish I had time and space for all the cute things you show:)

Unknown said...

I am unclear how you finished off the bak of the heart.....I would like it to sant on its own.

Ilene said...

Scroll saws look to be quite expensive ?☹️